Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vanitas Vanitatum

Continuing on about Jazz, Art Tatum is one of those great players who will play more notes than you ever thought imaginable.

Willy sums it up very nicely here.

For your listening enjoyment, listen here. This is "Have You Met Miss Jones" performed by Art Tatum. I don't think he ever met my old piano teacher. She'd probably wonder what color he was imagining as he played.

But why Vanitas Vanitatum? Itunes is great like that, searching for what you want you end up with something completely different. I always chuckle, while listening through all of my Pablo Casals, suddenly I'm listening to Petey Pablo. There's something completely different. ("Vanitas Vanitatum" is a Schumann Piece for cello and piano.)

2 comments:

  1. Really like the music and your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you typed in "tatum" to your itunes searcher thing, and got that extra title as well as all the "art tatum" stuff. When you have a whole extra hard drive just for your music collection, stuff like that is bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete